The Healthy Farms Healthy People Coalition’s series of educational web forums bring together members and stakeholders for cross-sectoral analysis of issues at the intersection of agriculture and public health. Our past web forums are archived below. For upcoming web forum dates, check our events page or sign up for our email updates. If there’s a topic that you’d like to see featured in a future Healthy Farms Healthy People Web Forum, email Holly Calhoun at email@example.com.
Ask the Experts: Is the Price Right? Understanding the economics of healthy food for consumers and farmers 2/7/13
This web forum is a follow-up to our August forum in which panelists explored how the price of food affects the health of consumers and economic viability of farmers. We brought back those same panelists to spend an hour answering audience questions about the economics of healthy food.
We’d like to thank our panelists for sharing their unique expertise and perspectives, and for an engaging and informative discussion on the price of food: Dr. Andrea Carlson from the USDA’s Economic Research Service, Dr. Chad Hellwinckel from the University of Tennessee at Knoxville and the Knoxville Food Policy Council, Dr. Jennifer Obadia of the Boston Collaborative for Food and Fitness, Alexa Delwiche of the Los Angeles Food Policy Council, and Michael O’Gorman of the Farmer Veteran Coalition.
The following reports were referenced during the web forum:
- Are Healthy Foods Really More Expensive? It Depends on How You Measure the Price by Andrea Carlson and Elizabeth Frazao
- Healthy Food Incentives Cluster Evaluation 2011 Final Report
This Healthy Farms Healthy People web forum was organized by Coalition Steering Committee member ChangeLab Solutions and moderated by Christine Fry.
Download the recording here.
Connecting the Dots: Why Conservation Compliance Measures Are Important to Our Health 10/17/12
What are the links between the Farm Bill’s conservation programs and public health? Learn about these critical links and why they are important. While the 2008 Farm Bill has expired, the opportunity to make a difference has not!
Featuring a panel of health and agriculture experts:
- Ryan Stockwell, National Wildlife Federation
- Roni Neff, Johns Hopkins Center for a Livable Future
- Martha Noble, National Sustainable Agriculture Coalition
View the presentation slides here.
Is the Price Right? Understanding the economics of healthy food for consumers and farmers 8/2/12
Learn about the price of food as it affects health of consumers and the economic viability of farmers. Hear from a panel of agriculture economists and leaders working to increase demand for and supply of fruits and vegetables, including:
- Andrea Carlson, U.S. Department of Agriculture
- Chad Hellwinckel, University of Tennessee
- Jennifer Obadia, Boston Collaborative for Food and Fitness & Tufts University
- Michael O’Gorman, Farmer Veteran Coalition
- Paula Daniels, Los Angeles Mayor’s Office & LA Food Policy Council
This forum was organized by Coalition Steering Committee member ChangeLab Solutions and moderated by Christine Fry.
What’s in the Farm Bill? 7/10/12
Hear analysis of the Senate-passed farm bill and the draft bill just before it underwent markup by the House Agriculture Committee from a panel of experts in agriculture, food, and nutrition policy including: Greg Fogel of National Sustainable Agriculture Coalition (NSAC), Dennis Nuxoll of Western Growers, Elizabeth Raines of Feeding America, Brittany Jablonsky of National Farmers Union (NFU), Lorelei DiSogra of United Fresh, and Paula Daniels of the Los Angeles Mayor’s Office and the LA Food Policy Council.
Download the recording here.
The panelists shared several great resources and materials which are available below:
- NFU poll on conservation priorities, press release, click here.
- Full summary of the results of NFU’s poll on conservation priorities, click here.
- U.S. Conference of Mayors Resolution on the Farm Bill, click here.
- Four new farm bill policy briefs from the Johns Hopkins Center for a Livable Future, click here.
- Agriculture Value Chain Study, click here.
- NSAC press release on the House mark, click here.
Healthy Farms Healthy People Coalition Web Forum 4/26/12
This first web forum includes a panel of agriculture, food, and nutrition policy experts to shed light on how the current debates on food and agriculture issues in Washington D.C., nationally, and at the state level can impact the health of all Americans, and the economic and environmental viability of the food and agriculture sectors.
Download the presentations below: