The Healthy Farms Healthy People Coalition hosted a web forum on Tuesday July 10, featuring analysis of the Senate-passed farm bill and the draft bill that the House Agriculture Committee is currently marking up. We had an great panel of experts in agriculture, food, and nutrition policy who provided their perspectives and insights on the bills including: Greg Fogel of National Sustainable Agriculture Coalition (NSAC), Dennis Nuxoll of Western Growers, Elizabeth Raines of Feeding America, Brittany Jablonsky of National Farmers Union (NFU), Lorelei DiSogra of United Fresh, and Paula Daniels of the Los Angeles Mayor’s Office and the LA Food Policy Council.
If you missed any of the web forum, you can view or download a recording of it here.
The panelists shared several great resources and materials which are available below:
- NFU poll on conservation priorities, press release, click here.
- Full summary of the results of NFU’s poll on conservation priorities, click here.
- U.S. Conference of Mayors Resolution on the Farm Bill, click here.
- Four new farm bill policy briefs from the Johns Hopkins Center for a Livable Future, click here.
- Agriculture Value Chain Study, click here.
- NSAC press release on the House mark, click here.
Tune in on August 2nd for the Coalition’s next web forum: Is the Price Right? Understanding the economics of healthy food for consumers and farmers. 10 am – 11 am PDT/1 pm – 2 pm EDT.
The webinar will explore the price of food, as it affects health of consumers and the economic viability of farmers. Participants will get a brief lesson on the economics of healthy food from economists studying this issue from different perspectives. Participants will also hear from leaders working at the local/state level to increase demand for and supply of fruits and vegetables. They will discuss their innovative projects and the returns on investments they’ve seen thus far.